An Alabama Department of Corrections narcotics dog died this weekend after he had an allergic reaction to a substance inside an Elmore County prison.
Alabama Department of Corrections officials say K-9 Jake collapsed during a contraband search inside Staton Correctional Facility on Thursday. Jake “alerted” on a substance before falling unconscious.
The substance has not yet been identified, though ADOC said an early test by a HazMat team identified it as synthetic marijuana.
Nursing staff at Staton performed CPR and inserted an IV before Jake was transported to the Auburn University Veterinary Clinic. But his condition deteriorated after Friday, when he developed pneumonia.
‘Too old’ to be dangerous?Man, released from prison after being deemed too old to be a threat, convicted in another killing
‘You don’t know what you did for me’: Released from prison by Obama, now on the dean’s list
Gov. Kay Ivey on Monday officially commended Jake, who joined ADOC is 2014.
“I was saddened to hear that one of the Corrections K9s, Jake, lost his life over the weekend. This K9 died in service to public safety and in service to the state,” Ivey said. “Jake is an example of the goodness, the loyalty and service that our four-legged friends provide. We certainly lost a loyal companion.”
Follow Melissa Brown on Twitter:@itsmelissabrown
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/23/k-9-jake-alabama-drug-dog-dies-after-finding-substance-prison/1802192001/